Sunday, October 08, 2006

Another Point of View

Just to prove that I know I'm not always right, and not all photography advice applies equally to all styles of photography, here's a quote from a true master of photography who would think I'm dead wrong in regards to my post Don't Be a Wuss:
There is a lot of talk about camera angles; but the only valid angles in existence are the angles of the geometry of composition and not the ones fabricated by the photographer who falls flat on his stomach or performs other antics to procure his effect.
--Henri Cartier-Bresson (1908-2004)

In fact, there's a good chance he's laughing at me from beyond the grave. I'll just laugh at him because he's French, and dead. No, I won't laugh at him for being dead. He was truly a great photographer.

1 Comments:

At 10/09/2006 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Bresson was a great photographer. My guess though is that he said that somewhere in the 50s or 60s. Times, tastes and techniques change lots over 50 years and while what he said was valid then, I'm not so sure it is now.

Anyway, you can still apply the rule of thirds when flat on your face. Maybe not when you're clutching a grazed elbow though...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home